"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Roadies

"....not quite sure which turn-off to take. . . but absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . ."  - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

When you come to a place like Nepal and you stay in the places I've been staying, you begin to notice something strange. It starts to seem that all the western world is on a once in a lifetime, shoestring budget, life-altering journey to the far corners of the globe.  Every traveler you meet has a curiously similar story: 

"How long are you traveling?"

"Not sure, maybe 6 months.  I came through China and Laos.  It was wild.  I'm trying to get to India by January to hear the Dalai Lama, but I'm still working on the visa...."

"Ah...I see.  Just the usual then."

After my arival in Lumbini I checked into the Korean Monastery.  It's not exactly written in any guidebooks that I know of that you can stay there, but sure enough I ran into one of my dorm-mates from Kathmandu.  I also met a Russian from New York who was on his own crazy journey accross Asia.  We were all planning on doing some meditation (everbody is right?) so since my first choice of centers was booked until the 16th, we all decided to try a different place.

We went through the rules and regulations.  We filled out the paperwork.  We got an idea about the type of meditation that would be practiced.   Then they led us to the rooms. The door opened onto what appeared to be a thriving mosquito farm.  Then I opened the bathroom door, and I found the actual mosquito farm.   We all, in our own minds, debated the merits of sticking it out.  My brethren decided they could handle it.  I decided to go with my first choice.  Too many times in my travels I have failed to trust my instincts.  Not this time, my friends.  Not this time. 

One more night in the monastery for me.  Then we'll try some meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment