"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It Begins: Seven Thousand Nine Hundred Ninety-Nine Dollars and Fifty-Seven Cents

"Let us first be as simple and well as Nature ourselves, dispel the clouds which hang over our brows,and take up a little life into our pores.  Do not stay to be an overseer of the poor, but endeavor to become one of the worthies of the world."  H.D. Thoreau

I've been reading a little from Walden lately.  Every page is littered with little pearls like that. Good stuff to read when one is planning to live the life of the ascetic voyager whose home is the road.  Today I made my first purchase:  The deposit on my first night's lodging in Kathmandu.  Hostel.com is the site you want to use for this kind of thing, brothers and sisters.  I found dorm style lodgings for 2.14 USD per night.  I booked 2 nights and paid the deposit of .43 USD with a credit card. Three factors swung my decision to go with this bargain-price five-bed dorm.  First, since my funds are finite, I want to get into the habit of going cheap.  If I can string together a couple of 5 to 6 dollar days then my options down the road will expand.  Second, I want to start thinking in terms of what I need, instead of what might be pleasant.  And Third, one meets other people in dorms and meeting people when you are traveling alone is definitely a good thing.  

I'm currently sitting in my flat in Dubai that I will likely never see again, drinking wine from a box, with ice.  My flight leaves at 10:35pm and arrives in Kathmandu at 9:00am.  Here we go....


No comments:

Post a Comment