"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Visa Run

I've decided to linger in Chiang Mai for awhile.  There's some kind of two-day trance/hippie/dance all night/sleep in a tent type of festival out by the lake on the 10th and 11th that I somehow volunteered to help construct and decorate in exchange for free admission.  The prospect has me a little nervous as it's not really my crowd, but I have resolved to embrace the weirdness and enjoy whatever comes.  Then on the 13th the festival of Songkran begins, which as far as I can tell involves everyone drinking heavily and throwing water at strangers in the streets.  Chiang Mai is reportedly the best place to be for this maddness.   So I'm staying for awhile.  Which means I had to make a 4 hour, 40USD run to the Myanmar border, clear immigration, have lunch, then head back to Chiang Mai with an extra 15 days on my visa.  After Sonkran, Cambodia awaits.  Really this time.

2 comments: