"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sustenance Again

I averaged 10.61 USD spent per day during my forty-one days in the Kingdom of Thailand, including bus travel, excessive beer purchases, and my visa extension.  I count this as a victory.  It wasn’t as hard as I expected, primarily because the cheapest food one can get in Thailand is still fantastic.   One can visit any street stall and get a hot, fresh plate of pad thai for a maximum of 1 USD.   Rice with curry is about the same.  And it’s all brilliant.  I know I said I enjoyed the food in Nepal, and to a large degree I did, but in Nepal I still felt compelled to indulge in the occasional 4 USD falafel and hummus at the upscale Israeli restaurant then order a whiskey and cola to go with it.  In Thailand I felt no such need.  I was always satisfied with the most inexpensive options available and, conveniently enough, those options were everywhere.   

Cambodia, so far, appears to be a little trickier.  Although I can buy a fifth of Cambodian whiskey for 1.50 USD, it’s extremely difficult to find a meal for less than 2 USD.  Last night I found chicken and fried noodles for a dollar, but it was rubbery and bland.  This morning I found noodle soup for 1.25 USD, but to do so I had to hike down the side-streets in the baking heat, then convince myself that the meat I was served was no more than two days old.  But then, on my way back to my room, feeling a bit concerned about the future of my precious budget, I noticed some delicious looking sandwiches that were selling for a dollar.  A minute later I saw big, fat, steamed dumplings that I felt certain would be cheap.  And so I reminded myself that these things take time.  By the time I cross the next border I’ll have the discipline of living cheap in this country firmly established, just in time to figure it out again in Vietnam.          

No comments:

Post a Comment