"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Friend

I've hesitated to be more specific about my traveling companion because I didn't want you, my patient reader, to get the wrong idea.  But in order to continue my policy of (almost) full disclosure, and (unqualified) complete honesty, I will offer these facts: I met a young woman, "Sophie", who hails from my ancestral home of Germany.  She has been traveling for three years and seems disinclined to stop at anytime in the near future.  She has offered several suggestions, as I have mentioned, that have placed us in odd little worlds outside of the comfort of my customary travel stops, and for this I am grateful. We have lately come to an agreement, since we share an affinity for budget lodging and an aversion to photo-ops at temples, to travel together for a little while.  Both being nomads (the label applies more readily to her, but for the moment I'll borrow it) we fully expect our paths to diverge in a week or a month, from one day to the next when we decide to go solo again or when we differ on our preferred destinations.  I don't know quite what to make of this.  I'm watchful for complications.  I'm slightly concerned pairing up will limit my new connections, make me complacent or cautious, but truthfully those problems have yet to manifest themselves.  And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that, at least for the now, it's pleasant to have a friend that lasts for more than one town.             

No comments:

Post a Comment