"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Consulting

The office of Orient International is a brisk twenty minute walk from Thamel.  I was lead there by my new friend and host, Narayan, who explained his world to me on the way.  Narayan is a jack of all trades.  In addition to the consultancy, which helps place Nepali college students in study abroad programs, he runs an NGO helping those afflicted with muscular dystrophy and also manages an organic orange farm.   Apparently these three jobs require little attention because he spent the day walking me around the city, first to the office where I was shown my desk and a computer that I was assured would function when the power returned, then to the park where we sat in the sun and traded life stories, then to a mall and Breem's (Narayan's boyhood friend's) wholesale operation, where we proceeded to shoot the breeze and drink tea for a few hours while sitting on piles of fake Levi’s jeans, periodically rearranging them as they were sold to local retailers, and finally back to the office, where the power stayed on for almost a full hour before darkness signaled quitting time.  It was, all told, an enjoyable day.  I only vaguely understand what it is exactly that they think I can help them with, but I’ve resolved to keep doing the thing I think they want me to until something better presents itself.  It’s an interesting place and I like these people.             

No comments:

Post a Comment