"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Busted Flat - Update #2

Crisis averted. After 7 penniless hours I am once again carrying the
local currency. Money never looked so good coming out of an ATM. I
had to postpone my couchsurfing (www.couchsurfing.org) by one day and
I'm hoping my host doesn't think I'm crazy as this is the second time
I've delayed my arrival. The hotel man is paid and I never had to
explain myself to him. Life is pretty good.

Even now that I have the money, I am beginning to realize how
difficult China is going to be compared to my other stops. When the
taxi drivers don't understand "bus station" you know you are not in a
place set up for tourism. Still, there's something refreshing about
nobody calling to me from shops or following me down the street trying
to push trinkets into my hand. I strolled into a local eatery today,
pointed at some things, and felt pretty sure the 75 cents I paid for
my gigantic bowl of pork noodle soup was not adjusted for my
complexion. I think China is going to be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment