"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Friday, August 27, 2010

Transition

On my last night on Bali, Gabriel, my Spanish friend from China showed up.  He had a new job and with it financial security, so he brought a liter of Johnny Walker Black with him.  I've sworn off the purchase of such extravagances until such time as my travel-values begin their inexorable change back to working-values, but that doesn't mean I could possibly refuse to enjoy one of the worlds finest upper-middle-price-bracket blended scotch whiskeys.  And enjoy it I did.  Oh lord.  

After two flights and a twelve hour bus ride, I'm in Chang Mai now, waiting for a ride out to the farm.  I feel like I need a break from the easy holiday of Bali life and the farm is a perfect solution.  I'm find myself looking forward to shoveling chicken shit and building callouses.   It's been too long.     

No comments:

Post a Comment