"A sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees." - Kurt Vonnegut

Monday, March 8, 2010

One Night In Bangkok (Makes a hard man humble....)

I'm in Bangkok now and I'm not really feeling it.

After one last beer on the Silver Home balcony I caught a ninety minute flight to Delhi, waited eight hours during which a fellow traveler and I told each other our life stories, then flew the final 4 1/2 hours to Bangkok (I found the in-flight entertainment, Where The Wild Things Are, oddly affecting) arriving at 7am.

I got out of the taxi at the right location (always a minor victory) and woke up the young woman sleeping on the bar that serves as a lobby for The Overstay.  "I have a booking...?"

"Fourth Floor."  She managed, and laid back down.

I walked through several hallways and empty rooms decorated with strange slogans and hippie paintings and found the fourth floor to be filled with sleeping travelers.  No bed appeared vacant.  I asked a departing westerner and he told me to grab a mattress, currently lying on the dusty floor and take a bunk.  I looked with skepticism at the door tacked to a plywood frame that served as the only free "bunk", tested the climb, and curled up on the floor instead.

After a few hours of sleeping off my jet lag, I ate a fantastic breakfast, took the wrong bus and ended up on the far side of town, took another bus, eventually found Khaosan Road where I quickly located a travel agent and booked a night tourist-bus north for Chiang Mai, leaving tomorrow.  This town is nice sometimes, but I'm not in the mood at the moment.

1 comment: